Memory Care Center - Mission and Vision
We Can Do Better
- To positively transform the way aging is viewed and experienced in our world.
- To innovate and improve upon the best memory care models – the Willow Valley Way.
- To improve quality of life for people with dementia using the right interventions. Resident care will focus on accentuating a person’s abilities through these basic tenets:
- Leading as normal a life as possible
- Meaningful engagement throughout the day
- Personalized approach for each Resident
- Intentional physical environment
- Engagement across generations, keeping families involved
- Behavior as communication when speaking is difficult
Although we already incorporate many of these into our memory care protocols, we are working with experts to maximize these principles at the new Memory Care Center.
LEARNING FROM TODAY’S BEST
Willow Valley Communities has looked to best practices within the United States and across the globe. We have visited “dementia villages,” investigated partnerships with local universities, hospitals, and assessment centers to improve the assessment process and related care practices, and examined the pros and cons of various models of memory care environments.
WORKING WITH THE BEST
Willow Valley Communities has engaged NORD Architects, a Denmark-based firm, to design our Memory Care Center. Continuously evolving and community-conscious, NORD embraces people through their designs, highlighting central themes of home and healing. Supporting NORD, EGA Architects in Massachusetts has been engaged as the stateside partner. We also continue to consult with some of the world’s leading dementia experts, including Dr. Jiska Cohen-Mansfield, Dr. Bill Thomas, and Dr. James Vickers.
“Willow Valley Communities has the opportunity to develop a world class model that is innovative and replicable.”
DR. JISKA COHEN-MANSFIELD
Igor Orenstein Chair for the Study of Geriatrics, Tel-Aviv University, Israel